WEDNESDAY, EASTER 3

 


Climbing roses, close up. This cane has indeed thrown itself extravagantly into the mulberry tree. Eventually I'll cut it back, because we're going to cut the tree down --- it's a volunteer growing up through the middle of the Mary garden, blocking sun to lots of other things, and it's not bearing fruit (a male tree), so there is not much point in letting it wreak havoc on everything else. But for now, this is pretty impressive. 

These roses came up as a volunteer, years ago, in another spot in the yard. While it was still quite small and unestablished, I moved it to the Mary garden, where it's been for over a decade, flourishing away. It's nothing special, just a random multiflora rose with no scent, but it does put on a pretty display late in the spring. 

Today's agenda: 

*dog walk

*pick up Artgirl's meds to take to Dallas with us

*make some headway on essays for week after next

*pay the dog sitter for the coming weekend

*choose a travel capsule and pack

Again, I am going to pack VERY lightly. I'm pretty sure I'll take my Pacific Brooklyn to wear on Friday to the Artgirl's reception, with some slightly elevating cardigan, or possibly my silk-cotton kimono. I think Teal Fiona will make the trip again, because she is the travel-dress champion of the world. And MAYBE Iris Blue Sierra, for knocking around? I might even wear Sierra on the plane . . . 

For next weekend, which is graduation, I think I will probably take linen. The temperatures look like going up in Dallas, into the mid-90s, so I might pack my Cinnamon Rose Leila and my Emerald Green Smock dresses. And maybe Sofia for the plane, etc. But we'll see --- that's a whole week away. 

Wearing today: 








*Wool& Brooklyn dress (S/Long) in Beetroot, bought November 2023, last worn April 22. Wears in 2025: 5

*Thrifted Peruvian Connection alpaca cardigan, year 3 of weear

*Xero Jessie sandals, year 3 of wear 

So, this dress is not blue, obviously, but I can wear blue with it. If I get hot in this cardigan --- it's actually fairly cool out right now --- I can switch it for something lighter, also in blue. I should experiment to see which blue things go with this bright magenta . . . though I already have ideas. Meanwhile, it kind of matches those climbing roses. 

I fixed the neckline of this dress last week? The week before? Time is beginning to lose all meaning. I think I might have fixed it too well --- I'm not nuts about the way the bodice hangs now, but I'm not going to mess with it anymore today. A readjustment would be easy, because the fix is one concealed stitch that can easily be picked out and redone. For now I'm just glad my cleavage isn't inadvertently on display. This might disappoint certain people in my orbit, but it makes me feel better, so there. 

This dress is easily the brightest item of clothing I own, apart from my red linen skirt. It's right out there at the edge of my comfort zone, in terms of both calling attention to me and overwhelming my medium-contrast coloring. It's also a bit difficult to style with other things in my closet. All this to say: yes, I am considering reselling it, but I haven't decided yet, and my aim is to pay attention to how much I'm wearing it with enjoyment over the summer. It might very well be that I make a decision, come the fall, not to keep it. But that's a completely open question at this point. If I did resell it, I would take out the stitch and disclose that I'd done it, with an appropriate reduction in price. 

But for now I'm wearing it. It is a fun summer dress, easy with sandals. I want to take this opportunity to view my own closet as a shopping haul --- although my Lenten no-buy is over, this seems like a good thing to do in May. I'm already doing a lot of blue, but practicing gratitude and saying fiat to things in my life feels like another appropriate way to honor the Blessed Mother. Clothes are a relatively tiny fiat, but still, a Little Way is a good way. 

As I've said before, I have bought a replacement for my broken Birk Mayaris (boo hoo, I really miss them), but those shoes haven't shipped yet, so I am getting extra wear out of other sandals. I've had these Xero Jessies since the spring of 2023, and now they're having their big hour. I truly should wear them more, and maybe this year they will wind up being a default summer shoe. I get lots of compliments on them --- they are really fun and cool in their minimalist way --- and I have worn them even for rather dressy occasions. I will wear either these shoes or my Crocs to the reception Friday night. It's easy to take both those pairs of shoes, because they're so flat, perfect for packing light. Both pairs of sandals are good for wearing in the rain (as Birks are not), and they wash very easily, which I appreciate. I'm a little leery of the Crocs' toe thong breaking, because that's happened to me before with the same shoe style, but these Xeros feel very sturdy. 

Half-dried hair --- I went more days between washes than I usually do, but now it's clean for travel tomorrow. I continue to be a big fan of Humby Organics bars, LUS 3-in-1, and Not Your Mother's Curl Talk spray gel. 

OK, time to let the dog out.