We're languishing under a hot harvest moon, here in North Carolina and up and down the eastern United States. The high here today is 95F: BLAH. I'm decreeing it a no-walk day. Dora's been out in the backyard, sniffing kibble from the grass for her morning exercise, and I'll let her out again as she wants to go during the day. But we'll save our walk for after dark, and I'll up the intensity of my indoor exercise.
BLAH. I hate it. I remember how much I loved the intense sun and warmth in Norway in June --- but that was largely because I'd been expecting it to be cold. Also, no matter where you are in Norway, there's a stiff breeze off the water, and a cool breath from the mountains. Here . . . in September (I almost typed August), not so much. The yard is a mess, but it's too hot to do anything about it. The kitchen garden is chaos, but ditto. I did water this morning, and got mosquito-bit for my pains. You start to yearn for cooler weather to slow down the mosquitoes, if nothing else.
Nevertheless, here we are. We're going to the pub tonight, because my husband wants to attend a City Council meeting tomorrow night, so that's nice. Meanwhile, I'll peck away at my work today as always.
Wearing:
Maggie B, easy and free. I want something cool and floaty on a day like today. I can tie her up later, over my bike shorts, to work out, but otherwise she can just flow.
She is just kind of a big t-shirt from behind. Nothing wrong with big t-shirts, mind you. Meanwhile, pardon the dripping hair, fresh from my mid-week wash, keeping me cooler for the time being than I might otherwise have been.
Wearing Maggie with my current default, the purple Birk Rosemeads. I might change into my Papillios for the pub, or I might not. They do dress up the plainest outfit.
In other news, I've sprung for a black pencil skirt (not wool) for choir dress. I've tried my black bamboo dress/tunic again over Audrey and concluded that the dress just looks too gray for a public choir occasion. So I've bought a relatively cheap Kosher Casuals cotton-spandex pencil skirt, which I'll wear under the dress/tunic, probably with my gray Jessie sandals, because I don't want to have to wear heels all day. The dress code is generally black-and-white, so I think that'll work, especially as the sandals are so minimal that they'll hardly show. I hate wearing black, and don't look forward to being stuck in it for a day, but I think this is the best solution for the demands of the situation. Funnily enough, I'd been thinking of a Kosher Casuals pencil skirt in some other color --- we'll see how this one fits. Since I'm wearing it under a longish tunic, which will cover my stomach, hips, &c., the fit won't matter that much. Kosher Casuals does seem to be my company of the moment for anything that's not wool. I ordered the skirt on Amazon, since it says it'll arrive tomorrow night --- apparently everything doesn't come on the slow boat from Israel, which in this instance is lucky. If it turns out that it's going to be on that boat after all, I'll cancel my order and just buy some cheap black skirt that can get here fast. I dislike doing that, and wish I'd taken stock of this choir-dress business a little earlier, but there it is. Actually, I'd bought a cheap black skirt on Poshmark some days back, but it still hasn't shipped, so I began to panic about its getting here in time. I guess if and when it does get here, I'll compare it with the Kosher Casuals skirt and resell whichever one I like less. If there's one thing I need less than a black skirt, it's two black skirts. But right now I do need one.
If anybody just wanted to give me a black Maggie in decent condition, I'd happily wear that, but I'm sure not going to plunk down a hundred dollars for a black dress to wear once a year. I guess I can also wear this tunic-skirt ensemble for funerals, though my default is navy blue or purple.
Anyway, those are my clothing thoughts of the moment. I'm not even sure what other thoughts I'm capable of. The heat is taking it all right out of me. I know, come February, I'll be longing for hot weather, because such is the human spirit. It's terminally dissatisfied. But what are you gonna do, except lean into it, knowing that at some point things will change (and you'll still be dissatisfied, because it's not the things that your soul really longs for).
On that cheery note, I think I'll see if the mail has come and maybe drink some more kefir. My gut biome, at any rate, ought to be happy.


