THE HUNDRED-DAYS' DRESS: DAY 95


 Another bright, glorious fall day with a huge temperature range: 39F when we got up, but a projected high of 75F.  Here's a close-up of my favorite thrifted infinity scarf. I don't know what the fabric is –– some cotton blend, I imagine –– but it's light enough not to add heat and heaviness to an outfit on a day when temps are going to fluctuate wildly. It also just adds a little easy finish to what would otherwise be a very plain outfit. Little gold glass earrings, given me by my husband but chosen by my daughter (everybody's best personal shopper), for a subtle pop of color. 



Camellia over navy leggings –– I love the bright navy of these particular ones –– with my secondhand duster cardigan, patterned socks, and Madeiras. 



These are my favorite socks, in a warm wool blend, bought at Target several years ago and still going strong. They'll probably come off by noon, but the extra warmth is welcome right now. 



 

Another full-length shot encompassing the backyard. I'm also wearing my bamboo slip under Camellia –– probably don't need the extra layer, but it is warm, and will likely still be fine as the day heats up. I spritzed my Day 4 hair to revive it a little, and it's still damp. Might put it up later. All these luxe velvet scrunchies I bought last winter, then didn't wear through the hot months, are calling my hair's name. 

Same work program as yesterday: about fifty pages left in the novel I'm copy-editing, though I plan to pass through the whole thing again more quickly once I have read it all in miniscule detail. I have begun the poetry collection I've been asked to endorse, and it's lovely thus far, shining with the good soul of its author. The first thing I did when I got up this morning was fiddle with poems in my own new collection –– there's one I think I must, with reluctance, take out. Even though it's appeared in print, I'm not really happy with it. I have an outbox for poems, as well as an outbox for clothes, and things do go to sit there, sometimes permanently, though I never fully get rid of any poem. BUT I've also added a couple of poems in the last few days, so things do balance out. 

Anyway, once again, to it. 

LATE AFTERNOON: 

Have copy-edited, poemed (or poeted, as I believe the verb now is), and washed the stairs. It's amazing how much coffee and tea people splatter on stairs and walls. It's also amazing how in photographs they don't look like they need painting. In real life, reader, I assure you, they do need painting. 



Also changed clothes slightly, since it's warmed up. 



Off with the socks, off with the cardigan, off with the scarf. On with this J. Jill tunic thingy I've had for I forget how many years: boat neck, with 3/4 sleeves and little kangaroo-style pockets, as if it were a hoodie. It's just plain old cotton jersey, so a good weight for a warm afternoon when I don't want to be sleeveless. 



I wore the same top under Camellia some time back. It's easier to see the sleeves in that picture. They have a fun little split detail which I've always liked. 

More good reading: the latest issue of Bad Lilies is full of lovely stuff, including these poems by A.E. Stallings. Other contributors include my friends (i.e., persons of online acquaintance whom I both like and admire) Maryann Corbett, Amit Majmudar, and Peter Vertacnik.