Zinnias in the sun, a summer sign.
A quickie today, as I have much to do:
*two essays still to write
*some basic housekeeping tasks
*grocery shopping (I need to buy dog food, so I might as well do the whole thing in person instead of ordering in)
*dinner-fixin
The dog is walked --- we've done just over a mile as the day was heating up, so she is stashed back in her shady crate by the air-conditioning vent, while I am cooling off with a big bottle of water with electrolytes in the study. I need to eat something, but I'm really not hungry.
Last night, kind of on the fly, I made a tomato-basil pie with a "crust" (rather soft and uncrusty) of cauliflower rice and parmesan. I pulsed the cauli rice and parmesan with a little glop of avocado oil --- I was out of olive oil --- in the Nutribullet, to make everything finer and more flour-like. Meanwhile, I sauteed some sliced Vidalia onion and minced garlic in butter. I pressed the crust mixture in a pie dish and pre-baked it, so that it wouldn't be absolutely soggy, while I sliced tomatoes left over from Friday night's dinner with our godson's family. When the crust was browned a bit, I layered in fresh basil from the garden and sliced tomatoes with the onions and garlic. I topped it with more parmesan, plus salt and pepper, and baked until the tomatoes were soft and the topping was browned. We had this with a little romaine salad dressed with oil and white-wine vinegar, and as a simple Sunday-night summer dinner, it was perfect.
We ate that all up, but there's bound to be something I can make brunch with in the fridge.
Wearing today:
*Wool& Audrey dress (S) in Black Heather, bought November 2022, last worn June 10. Wears in 2025: 16
*Secondhand Xero Z-Trek sandals, year 1 of wear
I'll throw a button shirt on over my dress to go to the store, but otherwise I plan to be pretty minimalist in my attire today. It is hot. The projected high is 97F, so I'm not even kidding. HOT. We're in a run of days with temperatures above 95F --- after Wednesday things look as though they'll break a bit, which is a mercy.
OK, back to hydration and foraging for food, and then to work.
PS
Just to keep my count accurate, let me note that late yesterday afternoon I did change out of my linen tank and skirt and into my Wool& Iris Blue Sierra (again):
I mean, not exactly an unfamiliar outfit at this point. Wears in 2025: 31





