Random morning kitchen shot, as I was stepping away to the study with my first cup of coffee. Today is variable --- sunny when I stepped out to walk the dog, but already, as I've just returned, clouded over again. It's been raining and raining and raining, and the speedwell/ground ivy has about taken over the kitchen garden, but fortunately all the right plants are growing, too. Tomatoes and peppers all have blossoms already and are setting fruit; zinnia seeds are flourishing; basil has sprouted; beans are contemplating climbing the teepee I built them. Blueberries are almost ripe --- my hunch is that they'll be perfect this weekend, when we're gone, and the birds will eat them all. Something seems to have eaten all our mulberries already; so much for that excitement. So goes the micro-urban-homesteading life.
In other news, I have canceled my order for this new pair of Birkenstocks. It's been nine days, and the seller has been reminded, but has made no move to ship them, which has given me time to consider that I could spend $45 (price + shipping) more profitably elsewhere. I might buy another pair at some point, but for the time being, I think I'm going to concentrate on wearing the shoes I own. I do have all these Xero shoes that could stand to be worn more frequently, though of course the Jessies have been getting a lot of wear. They're a bit grubby after being worn in yesterday's rain, so I think I'm going to wash them for the weekend and wear other shoes in the meantime . . .
Wearing today:
*Secondhand Not Perfect Linen Bay tank in Dusty Blue, first year of wear
*Secondhand New York & Company linen skirt (or linen blend, which I think is more probable), third year of wear
*Thrifted Crocs sandals, second year of wear
An all-secondhand outfit today, which pleases me --- and I am trying to be intentional about this Marian Blue thing before the month runs out. I had such good intentions at the beginning, but then I found that after a long Lent, I was really tired of rules and just wanted to wear what I felt like, which I have largely done. I've worn almost as much purple in Eastertide as I did in Lent, but that's just because I love my Iris Blue Sierra so much (and the name does SAY "blue," so).
Anyway, I hadn't worn this Bay tank since the Easter Vigil, I don't think, and today seemed a good day to pull it out again. I had thought I might wear my floral maxi skirt --- one of my good intentions this May was to wear that skirt more --- but rayon crepe just does not feel like an everyday fabric to me. Mind you, I am fairly sure that this skirt contains some rayon (there's no fabric-content tag, so I can't say for sure, but if I had to guess . . .). BUT it's cool and breathable and, most importantly, very sturdy. It feels more like skirt that can stand up to daily wear. I also love the length, which is long but not too long. I'm not going to trip over my hem. And the gradual flare and swirl feel good. It's a truly fun skirt to wear.
I haven't really analysed the elements of an outfit in a while, but I do like this one. The elements feel pretty balanced, with the soft blue tank reading as a light neutral against the saturated color of the skirt. These sandals feel like a nice medium contrast with my hemline. My Jessies would be more of a contrast, and also a good choice, but I do like this. A strappy sandal with a graceful ankle-length skirt feels good to me, flirty without being too revealing.
The weather's a bit warmer today and also very sticky, thanks to all the rain, so a linen tank is the perfect choice. If I start to feel damp and chilly in the house, I can always add a cardigan.
This outfit also reminds me that I don't really need another maxi dress. I have been eyeing the geranium Audrey with some interest, but honestly, if I want that feel, I can get it. For one thing, I already have one Audrey dress, and she is quite versatile and receives a lot of wear. And for another . . . skirts are always an option. Two of the three skirts currently in my closet are maxi-length skirts, which I can wear to "extend" a short dress if I want to, or paired with a top like this one. Dresses are absolutely easier than separates, and I prefer them, but separates can give you a lot of possibilities when you want a particular kind of silhouette or vibe. The small selection I have can potentially work hard for me, if I remember to make it work hard for me.
I'd also add that in my mind, these are "home clothes." I have packed linen for travel, but I don't choose it that often. I also don't tend to pack separates when I'm on the go, just dresses + a few accessories. My knit dresses shine in travel situations, especially when I'm flying and packing everything down small in a carry-on --- and since I've been doing a lot of that this month, it's nice in the intervals to let those dresses rest and allow my "home clothes" to shine a little more.
I am glad to have canceled that Birkenstock order. The inaction was frustrating me, and the more I thought about it, the more I wondered whether those shoes were truly the replacement I wanted for my Mayaris. They're a super cute style, but not step-in-and-go, and I had begun to wonder whether I'd really wear them as much.
Again, I might reconsider this whole thing later, but as much as I miss my Mayaris, maybe their breaking was meant to push me to wear and enjoy shoes already in my closet. I am free to change my mind at any time, but right now, this feels like a good way to think about it. As always, a day when I don't buy or receive something is a good day. I could opt to buy something tomorrow, but I don't have to.
I can also consider what I want to do when funds from my Willow dress sale come available. Assuming nothing happens to the dress in transit, and the buyer is happy with her purchase, that will be a bigger chunk of credit (or cash, if I want them to send me a check) than I've had in a while. I can spend it --- or not. And I am free to think about it one day at a time.



