SATURDAY, LENT 1/9x9 CHALLENGE DAY 6


 
More neighborhood tulip trees --- the ephemeral glory of spring in these parts. 

It's Saturday, and we have been hard at work procuring soil and filling grow bags in the kitchen garden. I've also been building a bit more of a structured path in that garden, to define more clearly some areas that I can use for in-ground planting. There's one strip I'd like to fill with zinnias, for example, and then one side of the garden, currently covered with big cardboard boxes, where I'm going to cut holes to plant tomatoes and squash and melons. 

I'm very happy with the results so far. I have some grow bags filled on the patio (one now home to an Encore Azalea, which I thought would be a nice addition), and then some tidy rows in the kitchen garden, waiting for carrot and beet seeds this month, peppers and other starter plants next month.  







It still doesn't really look like all that much, but this represents progress. I still have about twelve grow bags left that I can fill one at a time on an as-needed basis, but this gives me a good bit of scope for planting. My walk is not very even --- in fact, it's sort of hazardous --- but I was stepping carefully anyway, and now I do have some defined structure, which helps it all look not quite so chaotic. 

Many things are putting out new growth: lavender, two kinds of thyme, oregano, bee balm, blue sage. It won't be long till the blackberry canes are leafing and budding. I planted a lot of garlic a couple of weeks ago, and all those cloves are putting out shoots. Lettuce is coming up in my little planters (probably just in time to go to bolt as the hot weather moves in, but oh well, I never learn). Right now the whole garden looks like the set of Sanford and Son, but before long it will be full of lush growth. The patio, too, will look pretty with full planters. I'm going to the store in a bit for dog food, and I think I'll buy an elephant-ear bulb while I'm at it, to put in one of those grow bags. With the house plants moved outside next month, that area too will have a lush garden appearance. Very exciting. 

Wearing today: 




*Wool& Sierra dress (XS) in Iris Blue, bought January 2025. Wears in 2025: 13

*Secondhand Chico's linen button shirt, redyed by me, third year of wear

*Secondhand bamboo-cotton leggings, fourth year of wear

*Secondhand Birk Mayaris, first year of wear

Basically a repeat of Thursday's outfit, but it works. Got the light-dark-color-pattern outfit formula going on. I wore this outfit to Ace Hardware and then to work in the garden, where I got quite dirty. Now all those items have had a wash (the first time I've washed my Sierra dress since I've owned it), and I'm wearing the following: 




Getting taken out to dinner at Olde Hickory Station for our Sunday Vigil live-it-up. But first I must go buy dog food and elephant ears.