Obedient plant in the kitchen garden.
I was up early this morning with Dora, who had been having some initially-unconcerning gastric symptoms that suddenly turned concerning. We've been to the vet --- I'm home, but she's still there having stomach x-rays. So, already a disturbed (not to mention expensive) morning, and I hope things don't go downhill from here.
I'm not that worried. Our old dog, Lance, once ate a piece of plastic packaging that lodged itself in his stomach and had to be surgically removed: expensive as all heck, especially because it was New Year's weekend, and we had to go to the emergency vet, but he recovered just fine and was good as new for years afterward, until he went into his long, sad late-life decline. So I figure: if she's eaten something that won't go through the system, then yes, this will have been an expensive week, but she'll be okay on the other end and we'll just be more careful going forward. There's no indication so far that it's anything worse than that, but we'll see. I'm not worried until I'm worried.
But . . . what a day, and it's not even 11 in the morning. Usually Dora's just now getting up, stretching, and ready for a walk.
So I'm parked here with the phone, waiting for word from the vet.
Wearing:
*Wool& Willow (M) in Wisteria, bought February 2023, last worn September 10 (exactly a week ago). Total 2024 wears to date: 19
*Secondhand bamboo-cotton leggings, redyed green by me last fall
*Secondhand Birk Mayaris
It's not actively raining, and I just threw on the easiest, most comfortable clothes to go to the vet in, knowing that I would be wrestling a muzzle onto my dog and sitting on the exam-room floor with her while the vet examined her.
My facial expression is pretty much: this day so far.
And I'm feeling bad because if the dog has eaten something that's caused an intestinal obstruction, it's probably my fault for not taking it away from her sooner than I did. We're also behind on all kinds of things, because the last time we went to the vet was kind of traumatic (waiting room full of dogs, me body-blocking Dora in a corner to try to stop her losing her tiny mind over all the other dogs), and I've been putting off and putting off going back. So I slunk back in with her in a posture of abject guilt (me, not Dora), but at least she's there, and I hope and pray that there's nothing really bad (or more expensive) going on.
AFTERNOON UPDATE:
Somebody is home again and a little woozy from the sedative they had to give her in order to x-ray her innards. No visible obstruction of any kind, which is a relief. She's had some IV fluids and some anti-nausea meds and has more for tomorrow, and can eat a small, bland meal tonight. For now she's just sleeping it all off.
I'm going to take a soothing bath and wash my hair now, and then try to pick up the shards of my work day.
ALSO:
I really love these leggings. I've had them since 2021, and they continue to be soft, plushy, and comfortable in all weathers. Despite their cotton content, they don't seem to fall prey to my least favorite thing about cotton: slow drying, and souring in the process. I pulled out my Pact cotton crop top/bralette to wear under my Brooklyn dress yesterday, and obviously this had been its fate. I sprayed it down with alcohol and wore it anyway, but washed it again after I took it off. Both wool and linen dry so much faster and without that off smell --- and these leggings benefit, I guess, from bamboo content in seeming to avoid that particular problem. I just love them, especially in this olive green. I don't think I'd wear this shade next to my face, but on my legs it makes a great neutral.
Been trying to write, but my concentration is really blown.


