TUESDAY, ORDINARY TIME 13/LAST DAY IN NORWAY



Water lilies in the University Gardens, which we wandered through yesterday afternoon after an abortive attempt to visit the Maritime Museum --- we lingered a little too long over lunch in a cafe by the opera house (Cafe Opera, highly recommend, should you be coming to Bergen any time soon) and didn't really have time before closing to see the museum. It's up on the brow of the hill on the far side of the harbor from where we're staying, a bit of a hike, but in a good way. We walked probably seven or eight miles in the course of the day, starting here, in the Bergenhus neighborhood, making our way around the harbor to a museum that turned out to be closed, then retracing our steps to the Bryggens Museum, which houses an archaeological dig with medieval artifacts from that street by the harbor. From there we hiked around the harbor and up the far hill, at the edge of the true city center, to the cafe, and then up again to the university and its gardens and a large park beyond. Then eventually back home, before venturing out again to Dr. Wiesener's in the evening. 






Today's our last day. Again, it's rainy and cool, with a high of 11C, or 58F. We're going to pick up the car from the parking garage where it's been stashed and drive out to the Grieg Museum (actually his house), back in the direction of the airport. Then if we have time and feel like it, we might try for this Maritime Museum again, or give it a miss. 

This trip has felt simultaneously very long and far too short --- I've been in an odd frame of mind for traveling and moody about things I normally enjoy. I'm sad to be leaving, but also dying to be home again. Really what I'd love, since I have to leave, is to be teleported directly into my house, thank you, and avoid all the airport nonsense and the packed planes. Last year we got stranded for three days in New York before we could get home, and although we're flying into Boston this time, I don't think I'll stop being anxious about this segment of travel until I've actually walked through my kitchen door. God willing, that'll be around 1 a.m. Thursday. 

Wearing today, because it's chilly: 



*Wool& Willow (M/Long) in Ocean Teal, for a third wearing on this trip

*Secondhand Allbirds slate-blue leggings

*The ubiquitous thrifted alpaca cardigan

And I'm sure I'll wear my Xero hikers again. 



There's no coffeemaker in the flat, so I'm having this bonding experience with a cup of instant Nescafe latte. Mmm. 

Wet hair, because I know I won't have time to wash it in the morning. Again, I've just been using my Head & Shoulders Bare, for gentle cleansing, and about a dime-sized amount of LUS 3-in-1 for wavy hair, with plenty of water in my hair and emulsifying the product in my hand before I squish it in and rake it through, then comb it with a wide-toothed comb. Once my hair dries I usually pull back the front pieces in a half-updo with a little claw clip, because it's so windy, but yesterday I did snap a picture of my dry hair before I did that. 



At home I might add gel for more hold and definition, but here I just haven't bothered. One thing I like about being here is that Scandinavian women generally do not seem as fussed about their hair and appearance as American women do --- there's not really a right or a wrong way for your hair to look, in terms of its texture. Not that I tend to worry that much anyway . . . but I am happy with the outcomes I've had using this very basic 2-product non-routine while I travel. 

And now it's time to brush my teeth, find my raincoat, put on my hikers, and strike out into the day.