Morning sky, a little Carolina Blue with smudges of cloud. Today's high won't even break 90F, which is hallelujah-level news. Last night, walking the dog, we actually felt cool, and not in an image kind of way. I don't know how long this respite from the summer heat will last, but as long as it's here for me, I am here for it.
Today's agenda:
*dog walk
*Substack essays (2 for next week)
*already written some words of fiction, but not sure how many
*call my mother
Wearing today:
*Wool& Camellia dress (M), originally lapis blue, bought July 2021, redyed an actual lapis-lazuli color by me a couple of years ago. Last worn June 28, on the hiking trail in Norway.
*Secondhand Garnet Hill cotton-modal skirt, bought June 2024, last worn on Tuesday.
*The default Birk Mayaris, also secondhand
So this outfit is a deviation from the plan I sketched out on Sunday, but that's all right. Mostly I'm trying to avoid repeating outfit elements too often, but I really love this green skirt and wanted to pair it with something blue. I've also moved the blue-and-green floral linen-blend skirt I had planned to wear with this Wool& dress to my stack of things to pass along to the Texasgirl next time I see her. The colors in that skirt are really more her than me, and I am looking for ways to whittle down my closet just a little. As much as I like skirts, I'm not sure I need the number I have (five? currently?). And as much as I have worn that floral skirt year-round, it really doesn't work that well as a winter skirt. This green one, on the other hand, will be perfect through the year, as great with boots and tights and sweaters as it is with lightweight summery tops and sandals.
I think I prefer it with the waistband unfolded and wide:
The waist definition is nice, and this way, even if it slips down a little, it doesn't ride too low on my torso, as it might otherwise do:
Not that that's that obvious or a big deal, but on the whole I do think I like the wider waistband.
Anyway, this is a massively versatile skirt, which I would not have bought new, either for the price point or the possibly dodgy manufacturing. Garnet Hill is a "nicer" brand, but it's still relatively fast fashion, and I don't know anything about their production process. But here this was secondhand, and I'm glad I have it.
And I love the blue and sagey green together. That's long been one of my favorite color combinations, so cool and soothing to the eye. I also love how the skirt transforms my swingy little above-the-knee dress into something entirely different, and hides the hole I still haven't mended and the holes that I have. I mostly wear this blue dress for either sleeping or hiking, but it still cycles into use as day wear, especially with the help of a skirt to hide its most serious little flaws.
Day 2 hair still feeling pretty good. I was expecting it to go limp and flat overnight from all the product in it, but it's really held up pretty nicely. I could have gotten it wet before combing it out, to let the waves re-form, but I opted instead to comb it, then pull back the front in a little claw clip for a half-updo, then run my wet hands over it for a quicker refresh. It works, I think.
Tired today, after a night of relatively spotty sleep. I guess I was due for a not-great night; lately I've been sleeping like the kind of baby I never had (i.e., a baby that sleeps through the night). Last night I woke up in the wee hours and had a hard time falling asleep again, though apparently I was asleep enough at crucial junctures not to know when my husband got up and down, as he always does in the night.
Anyway, I do want to get some walking in while it's not so hot, and also lift some weights, about which I have been totally unmotivated since my return from the fjords. And then to work work work --- so once the evening comes, I can knock off for the weekend.
Wishing everyone a good one.



