TUESDAY IN ASCENSIONTIDE/NO-BUY MAY 14



It's raining again, and when I woke up this morning, the power was out. I had been planning to take a bath and wash my hair, but no power means no hot water, and I am not a martyr. So much for that, I thought. No coffee, either. But I got the Wordle in four, and I finished the Mini Crossword in 48 seconds, and even though Letter Boxed gave me six words today to solve the puzzle, I did it in four words, so even without coffee, I guess we are not as off our game as we might have feared. 

Since there was no power and no hot water, I decided just to go ahead and get dressed. While I was getting dressed --- blink! --- on came the lights, but I was already on the getting-dressed trajectory, too late to get off and do something else. The coffee pot I plugged in an hour ago has now made the coffee, however, so being up and dressed, I guess I'll drink coffee and gird myself for the day to come. 

It's a cooler day, though not unpleasant, except for the wet --- high of 68F. The house feels chilly, though, on days like this, and I'm grateful for an extra layer to wear. 

Wearing: 



*Wool& Maggie dress (S/Long) in Aegean Teal, bought April or May of last year and worn yesterday --- it was on the hamper when I got up, so I decided to repeat it, especially as I'd been wanting to wear it with this skirt. 

*Very old thrifted Christopher&Banks cotton-linen skirt --- another locally thrifted item I've had so long I can't remember what year I bought it. 

*Thrifted Crocs sandals passed along to me last month by my darling thrifting-queen Texasgirl

So this is the base outfit. The Maggie dress is always versatile, with its scoop neck and lovely drape, and of my dresses, it's my favorite to wear as a faux top with a skirt. I wore it yesterday under a pinafore, where it didn't show all day because I was also wearing a cardigan, and I decided to wear it again today with this skirt. I could wear my Marine Blue Maggie for a similar look, but somehow I thought the dark teal would be a nicer combination. I do really like it. This skirt is another of the very few patterned items I own, and I love how springtime-ish the floral pattern and color feel. I'd never wear that yellowy green next to my face, but it's pretty as a contrast to the shades of blue and teal in the print, and I like it as an element. Anyway, wearing my closet, making the whole tour . . . 

Crocs on my feet because it's wet, but also, the contrast with my lowest hem is nice. 

As I said, the house feels kind of chilly, which means that I feel kind of chilly, too. So, again, in the spirit of wearing my whole closet: 



*Very old thrifted Liz Claiborne cotton pullover (again, no idea anymore what year I bought it)

I don't adore cotton, but this sweater is soft and comfortable and the right weight for a not-very-chilly day when you nevertheless feel chilled. My husband loves this sweater --- he always comments on it when I wear it, which is one reason I've kept it all these years. The color is absolutely my color, an intense saturated blue that's not electrically bright. 




Hair in a default ponytail with two of my pretty little satin scrunchies, because I liked the play of colors. I might very well break down at some point in the day and take the nice hot bath with hair-wash that I was going to take this morning, but I do like these scrunchies. I've been indulging myself in hair accessories (though not so much in May!), since I seem to be growing my hair out again. It is frankly nice to have a good collection of claw clips in various sizes --- ones that actually hold my hair. And nice to have pretty scrunchies, because they dress up a basic ponytail. 

I did very little work yesterday, but today I had better pull up my big-girl you-know-whats and get something done. 

OH ALSO: 

The other kind of interior I like to save images of is bedrooms. I won't share my saves right now, but here is mine at the moment, with the sheets turned back to air out: 




Sometimes I fold the top covers back neatly, but today I did not. I leave the bed open like this for some hours, to give the bedding plenty of time to air before I make it up again neatly, so that when we get into it the sheets are fresh but also straight and comfortable. All this contributes to good sleep, which we hold at a premium. If I like the way a hotel bed feels . . . and generally I do very much like the way a hotel bed feels . . . then this is how to get that feeling every day in my own home. Nice sheets (though these are cheap cotton jersey, they are soft and comfortable and pretty), and a made bed --- though when you make the bed is up to you, and there's much virtue in leaving it unmade, but with the top covers thrown back, for a good part of the day so that it can air. 

My other home aesthetic, besides all the ones I talked about yesterday, is My Favorite Bed-and-Breakfasts. We travel more, and more ambitiously, than we used to, but for years we just couldn't afford to go anywhere, and that was when I started really trying to make my own house into a place I'd want to get away to. Airing and making the bed isn't my only move toward that aesthetic, but despite not being very glamorous, it's maybe the most important move. The way we all get away is in sleep, and the quality of our sleep matters. AND how we treat the place where we sleep contributes, however subtly, to that quality.  

So (and really, I have written about a thousand words of fiction, so I have done some work!) this is my exhortation: Invest in your own good sleep. Today. If you can, and you don't have them already, buy yourself some nice sheets. Buy enough that you have a weekly change. If you don't have a mattress pad, get a mattress pad, so it's not just you and the mattress with a sheet in between. Put one set of sheets on your bed, over the mattress pad. Make up the bed, so that it's welcoming to you when you're ready to get back in it: straight, neat, clean, comfortable. Now it's your own hotel, and your sleep is a real getaway. This is an easy thing to do for yourself, and it is life-changing. 

Anyway, that's my exhortation, for anyone who needs to hear it today. Do something good for yourself, and if you don't already do this kind of thing, consider it as a good thing you might do for yourself. 

AFTERNOON UPDATE: 

The rain is still falling, but I have made the bed. Everybody clap. 




I have also written and uploaded two short essays for next week (of the three I needed to write) and been for a wet walk with Dora. We found a planter thing on the curb, and I picked it up and carried it home in the rain, and hung it on the garden fence. 

Here it is: 




It needs filling with soil and plants --- maybe more herbs? Or some bright annuals, some kind of pollinator-attracting blossoms, since I don't have tons of flowers to bloom through the whole summer. Not sure yet. The green planter there on the ground also needs dumping out, refilling with clean soil and planting up with something that isn't weeds. Anyway, I'm fairly proud of today's freebie score. It pays to walk every day and to pay attention to what people are setting out with the trash. This dresses up my metal fence right nice, and gives me even more space for planting things. 

Also, look: 




The lip hematoma is still there, but fading. Whenever I have something like this, even though my rational adult mind says, "This is just a bruise. Bruises go away," there's another part of my mind that's going, "I have lip cancer, and soon it will eat my whole face, and then I will die." 

But you know, looks like today the rational adult mind is winning. Or rather, it's being proved right. Again. Maybe I ought to listen to it more often.