SATURDAY, EASTER 2



More leaf-shadow drama on the Airbnb garage door. There's not a lot of what you would call scenery around here, but there are little beauties to be found, if you're looking for them. 

Yesterday: 

*lunch in a Mediterranean cafe

*drive through the country to Ft. Worth

*an hour or so in the Kimbell art museum, seeing their impressive European and Asian collections

*dinner and evening hangout at the Texasgirl's, with her husband, the Fire Son and Anastasia, and the youngest sister on that side, Juliana. Random dinner of whatever was on hand, and a lot of fun around the table

Today: 

Not sure what we feel like doing. Texasgirl and her husband are hosting a party and dance at their house tonight (Juliana had come over to help put down the dance floor in the back yard), so they're busy with that most of today. Artgirl is going to see the Viking's matinee show at 2, so her afternoon is taken. He's got shows this afternoon and tonight, and then Our Town run is finished. 

We might, if we feel like it, venture into downtown Dallas to see the art museum there. But I imagine we'll have kind of a slow morning. My mother has always been a relentless go-go-go kind of person, which I am not, like at all, but I am having to recalibrate my ideas (aimed at pleasing a relentless go-go-go person) for what seems like a whole new set of limitations --- how far she can walk, how much energy she has. The fall-off in the last year seems kind of striking (resolving to go home and lift more weights, climb more stairs, walk more miles, build more muscle --- but also realizing that whatever I do, I am going to get old eventually and surprise and frustrate my children with my unexpected limitations). So we're flexible, and we dial it back when we need to, so that we can both have a nice time. 

Anyway, wearing today: 



*Wool& Maggie dress (M/Long) in Marine Blue, bought May 2022

*Secondhand Birkenstock Mayaris, bought April 2024

It's going to be 83F today, so I won't need much of a top layer, though I might add one this morning. Still, I really enjoy this dress most when it's entirely on its own, simple and swingy and uncluttered. 

The wrinkles will fall out eventually, though I do have my spray bottle to spritz it if I need to. Now, THAT is a handy thing to pack --- mine is travel-sized, so I wouldn't have to dump out the water, but it's just as easy to pack empty, then fill with tap water at my destination, ready to spritz my wrinkled clothes or my hair or whatever I want to spritz. 

Anyway, yeah, I'm a huge fan of the flow of this dress. 




It's so basic, so clean, so easy, so cool in the hot weather. I do like layering it in the winter, though some of my least-favorite, least-successful ensembles have in fact involved this dress. I should just resolve to do simple tights and boots and a cardigan, and have done with it --- keeping the line clean and uncluttered all the way down. 

But it comes into its own as a summer dress that barely touches my body, nice and floaty and cool. I like the movement and drape of the fabric, which is thin and fluid enough that I'm glad I'm wearing bike shorts under it --- not doing the old-fashioned "foundations" thing that my grandmothers did, but I'm also quite aware that this relatively thin knit shows lines underneath. So I avoid having them, and my clothes automatically look better on me. 




Not the most flattering angle, and my glutes are a work in progress, but it sure does help not to have visible panty lines. Derek Guy, were he interested in women's clothes (he seems not to be, which is fine), might say something about the way putting your hands in your pockets in a knit dress pulls the dress out of shape and creates pull and wrinkling, but oh well. Derek Guy is not here, and he isn't that interested in women's clothes anyway --- which honestly is fine, because if anything is under-talked-about, it's not women's clothing. It's men's clothing.

In women's clothing, what you wear underneath does matter and can alter the entire look of what you're wearing, a fact that does not mean that we have to go back to wearing girdles, just that I'm probably not buying bikini briefs ever again, because I don't like the lines under my clothes, and I don't always want to wear a slip to smooth them out. In fact, especially in the summer, I usually very much do not want to wear a slip, because it's too hot. Bike short underwear is a good option, accomplishing very much the same thing without being an extra layer, and also providing coverage for hiking and other outdoor activities for which I generally wear a short dress. 

I also generally wear Allbirds tencel-merino crop top/bralettes (which come without pads, but have a double layer of fabric, which I slit carefully with scissors on the inside so that I can insert bra pads) --- 

a. They're really comfortable and odor-resistant, so great for outdoor wear, travel, and my typical day which involves dog-walking and some form of workout

and

b. They look smooth under clothing, especially in back where, again, a standard bra cuts into your flesh and creates fatty-looking bulges, even if you're not that heavy. These aren't totally no-line, but they're pretty minimal and smooth, and in most instances look better under my knit clothes than anything else. I do have some more traditional bras for when I want a little more . . . whatever . . . but they too have fairly wide back sections that lie smoothly and don't cut into the flesh. 

So, I definitely have . . . surface texture, I think they call it . . . that could make wearing thin knits kind of a challenge, but this is how I deal with it. I also deal with it by saying to myself that this body has been pretty good to me for nearly sixty years now, and I can grant it some grace, and anybody who doesn't like it can look at something else. 

By the way, one of my current favorite exercises for legs and backside --- quads and glutes --- is the chair squat. It's very simple: keeping my back very straight and bending forward/hinging at the hips, I lower and raise my backside down to and up off a low chair, while holding a kettlebell. Usually I use the 10-pounder, though sometimes I get ambitious and use the 25. I do maybe ten reps at a time, raising and lowering myself using my legs and glute muscles (making sure I don't feel any pull in my lower back, and keeping my back very straight, with the kettlebell held to my chest). I might repeat this several times in the course of the day, just whenever I get up from my desk.

The chair I use is a child's school chair, so it's lower than a normal chair --- but if I were just starting out, I'd use a normal chair and maybe not even a small weight, but just practice sitting lightly on the chair and standing up again, using my legs and backside to raise and lower me, preferably without having to use my hands (making praying hands in front of my chest or something, and challenging myself not to need them to stand up). 

So that's one of my favorite no-workout workouts. It takes almost no time and very little extra energy, but doing it even once in the course of a day makes some difference over time, in terms of my physical strength. Doing it two or three times, or sometimes doing 20 reps instead of 10 (or increasing any amount over however many reps you can do to start out) makes even more difference, incrementally, the more you do it. 

I just keep my weights in the office, on the coffee table next to my desk, and pick up whichever ones I feel like working with. The chair stands right next to the daybed. The key to success here is having the things I need in my line of vision, accessible to me the minute I want to get up from the work I'm doing. And my goal really is strength, not aesthetic effect, though I don't mind looking stronger, too. So, as teaching my children to read once was, this is a matter of five minutes here, five minutes there --- or really, more like a minute here, a minute there, repeated over time, as I pay attention to my body's desire to move. I used to think that my body didn't particularly want to move, but it does, and more and more I learn to pay attention to it, and to find ways to gratify that desire. 

I have no idea what this will look like for me at 88, granted (God willing) that I get there. It's easy to prognosticate about what your old age is going to be like, just as it's easy to formulate all kinds of parenting theories before you have children. Reality exists to confound you, that's all I'll say about any of that. What I have is today, and I can choose to use it well, within whatever parameters a given day happens to present. 

Right now I think I might go sit in the sun and read, because that's what Grammy seems to be doing, and it looks like a good plan. 

LATER: 

Still hanging out, waiting for kids to text me back. I imagine everybody stayed up late and is sleeping in this morning. 

I have been out back, soaking up my daily quota of Vitamin D: 




I also took a little series of what I think were pretty successful camera-timer selfies (propping the camera on an outdoor-umbrella stand): 





The backyard landscaping here is pretty minimalist: just grass, basically, though it's very lush green grass right now. This minimalism lends itself (I realize retroactively) to a kind of David Hockney aesthetic, where you can have very simple forms and colors on this very linear lawn-sky-and-building background. I wasn't really going for anything in particular, but I like how these turned out compositionally: my off-center figure uniting the grass, the garage, and the blue sky. There's also an echo of my figure in the light post to the left of my figure as you look at the picture. The trees, especially the one to my right, above the garage roof, in the middle shot, make an interesting motif with my untidy hair, too. So this was basically an "I'm bored" little exercise, but I like how it turned out. 

And there's a good principle for selfie-taking, too, which is: don't look at the camera. The other day the Artgirl was telling me about the self-portrait project she has to do for her human-figure drawing class, and how the one rule is No ID photos --- meaning, don't make eye contact with the viewer. There are times when you might want to do that, but I honestly think the best images of people happen when they're not looking right into the camera. Making eye contact with the camera tends to stiffen you right up, make you self-conscious, so the resulting picture isn't really a good likeness of you as you are. 

The poses I'm striking here are self-conscious poses, though the main thing I'm conscious of is the imperative to look at something other than the camera, which I know is looking at me. I have to ignore it --- that's the rule. The looking-at-the-ground pose is a total photo-session cliche, but it's still better than standing squarely in confrontation with the camera, and tends to show off the subject's hair to good effect. It allows for some motion --- the wind is blowing my hair here, and I can just let it, and that's more interesting than trying to freeze-frame myself, as if the world were more static than it really is. Even the shots where my face is visible show you particular planes of my face, as I'm looking elsewhere: my profile, full or partial, as I let the light fall on my face. 

I didn't make any particular grooming preparations for these shots --- they were very off-the-cuff. My hair is messy and unrefreshed. I didn't dress up or anything. The simplicity of my dress works with the whole composition, but that's a happy accident more than anything else (though it is generally why I like very simple clothing). I'm not a model, which is to say that I'm not very good at being in front of a camera and have no especially talent for it, but just observing the one simple rule of looking away (and angling my body/keeping it off-balance instead of standing squarely in front of the camera) makes for a better shot of even a very ordinary person, with a very ordinary face, body, hairstyle, outfit, etc. These are also not really art photos --- like I wouldn't exhibit them anywhere other than on this blog. But I like treating myself as a subject in an artistic composition, rather than as a self to be photographed. Paradoxically, I wind up looking more like my natural self when I'm thinking about rules of composition than I do when I'm fixated on myself and how I look. 

So, anyway, that's interesting to me, and might be helpful to somebody as a set of ideas for how to appear in photos. If I can look half-decent, so can you. 

PS: 

An unsolicited product review, since I was mentioning bike-short underwear --- 

I own, currently, two brands of this kind of underwear. I have six pairs of Understance modal bike shorts, three in black and three in "natural." I like these a lot --- they're thin and do ride up a little sometimes, but they fit very cleanly under my clothes, and are very easy, because of the thinness, to wash out in the morning and hang to dry. They're ideal for travel, but I wear them pretty much every day. I find them very comfortable, breathable, etc., and the price point is a lot friendlier than any comparable wool underwear I've seen. 

Recently I bought a pair of Huha bike shorts --- their longline boxers, or whatever exactly they call them, but they are basically mid-thigh-length bike shorts. These are tencel, with a crotch panel infused with zinc and something else, to make them more antimicrobial. I really love these. They fit beautifully and don't ride up, breathe well, and feel substantial, but still very  smooth under clothing. They do take longer to dry when I hand-wash them, which is my one complaint, but with summer coming this is less an issue than it was. I wore them on the plane the other day, washed them the next morning (day before yesterday) and am wearing them again today. So while they're not quite as easy to wash and dry for travel, they're still pretty good. 

Innnnn case you want some bike-short undies, those are my recommendations. Again, unsolicited.