Daffs on the kitchen table --- I picked these last night as I was coming up the driveway with Dora. They've just opened, and I always forget how beautiful this double-petaled variety are until I see them again. In the side garden by the drive, the Jerusalem artichokes are starting to come up. Now I want to buy a bunch more, mow down the vinca in the bed beneath our bedroom window, and fill that bed with Jerusalem artichokes, too. I have all these boxes and grocery bags which I'm saving to put down over weeds or grass, then cover with layers of good soil . . . I could make some inroads even on that vinca, if what I planted with it was a vigorous tall spreader that would just overrun it. I think I could do this without injury to the four-o'-clocks that come up in that bed every year, since they mostly seem to have collected themselves at the front edge. A border of four-o'-clocks, a wall of Jerusalem artichoke, then the monster roses . . . it could work.
But not this week. I have two more classes to teach, plus some writing to accomplish. As you might imagine, I'm kind of tired. This talking and talking to the camera drains all the energy right out of me. But only two more rounds of that, and I'm finished!
In the meantime, the weather here is beautiful. Our projected high today is 78F, and friends, I'm here for it. It'll probably be 35F and raining on Easter, but the Southern spring is a thing I live for nonetheless. Yes, yes, I know, we'll be paying for it in July, but I don't care. I don't really mind July, either, except for the mosquitoes and the flies in my kitchen. If it were just heat, that would be fine.
But today is perfect.
The Lenten no-buy proceeds apace, and it's turned out to be an okay discipline in the sense that actually it's kind of hard, but it's not ever insurmountable. It's a lot easier than a food restriction in some ways, because the thing I'm fasting from is not only not in my house, tempting me, but it's . . . well, I don't quite know how to express it. It's a whole habit, not a particular thing, if that makes sense. I'm not focused on how much I want some chocolate, or whatever. It's just more like saying to myself, Well, okay, so I looked at Poshmark, which I probably should not do --- but I don't have to stay on that webpage, and I certainly don't have to click "Submit order" on anything. There are lots of steps between me and the thing I've decided to fast from. But I'll admit that I'm craving the dopamine hit of some pretty new thing, and I'm sort of wishing I hadn't resolved not to buy any dresses this year, because I keep seeing pretty dresses --- but honestly, again, I don't need any new dresses. I don't strictly need anything at this moment, and it's good to have made a Lenten resolution to underscore that reality. But I do feel the pull, which is probably a good thing, in the sense that it's an actual thing to resist.
Not that I don't have ideas about what I might like to look for after Lent, but I don't have to think about that now. Nope nope nope. Mostly I'm just honestly happy to own what I do own, which feels like a wealth. Looking over my outfit photos from this year so far, as compared to last year, I see far fewer outfits that I wish I hadn't worn, far more outfits that I like and want to repeat. This feels like progress. I feel better knowing that I generally look better. I could wish that it hadn't taken me nearly sixty years to be aware of myself and figure out how to look, but better late than never. And self-awareness beats self-consciousness any day --- they sound like the same thing, but they are very much not the same thing at all.
Wearing today:
*Secondhand Not Perfect Linen Leila dress (M/L, altered by my seamstress) in Chocolate Brown, bought December (? I've already forgotten) 2023
*Secondhand Birkenstock Rosemeads
This is the base outfit, anyway. A warm day just calls for linen for a change --- I can let my wool dresses rest and air.
I tried two different cardigan layers --- since it is March, not July, and I do have to teach today. I'm wearing one now, but I'm still not sure which one I want to wear.
Here's the predictable option, given the time of year:
*Again, the very old thrifted Eddie Bauer cotton cardigan.
It's lightweight, and it's purple, and it looks nice, I think, with this dress. It also does not match my shoes, though they look pretty much the same color from a distance and in photos. I guess if I were really worried about that I'd change shoes, but I cannot be bothered. I keep stepping into these Birkenstocks, and that's that.
The other option, which I like better than I thought I was going to:
*Secondhand J.Jill navy linen-ramie duster cardigan, bought summer 2023. I really like this cardigan, and I am surprised by how much I actually like it with this dress. I was afraid the vertical line of the cardigan would be at odds with the fit-and-flare shape of the dress, but I don't think it really is.
Navy looks nice against this soft brown --- I can see tossing on this longer cardigan with this dress and sandals for a summer Sunday Mass outfit, or to go out in the evening. For now I'm wearing the purple cardigan, because Lent . . . but I could change later. As long as I keep the shoes, I'm wearing my Lenten purple.
Damp-refreshed hair --- I just smoothed on some water this morning and combed it through, and it hasn't dried yet. Again, I did not expect to like the color of this dress or to find it flattering, but it's honestly so much better than I had thought it would be. I still have the dye I bought to change it, but eventually I'll dye something else instead.
Also, I can lift weights just fine in this dress. There's nothing like taking a shot of myself with bare shoulders to make me want to lift more weights . . .
But in the meantime, on with the day.





