SATURDAY, ADVENT 3



Quiet morning kitchen, scene of much baking and hilarity last night. Now I'm the only one up, drinking the coffee, waiting for another round of baked oatmeal with cranberries to finish cooking. It's what I can think of to put out for ten people to graze upon in the morning. I'm also baking my second round of brioche, this time to save for bread pudding for Christmas dinner. 

And that's pretty much today's plan: more cooking-ahead as I can, more prepping, so that when I'm not thinking straight on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I can still cook what I need to cook. Yesterday I went ahead and cut the vegetables for the fiskesuppe, so that all I'll need to do is dump them in the pot to saute with butter before I add other ingredients. I started more yogurt and creme fraiche, because you never know, do you. I need to put together my chicken pie for tonight after Mass as well, so that all it needs when we get home is heating up. 

My mother and brother, who don't stay with us, got caught in traffic last night --- were still only in Asheville by around 7:30. So they opted to get something to eat on the road, then go to their hotel to bed, while we went ahead and ate our pizzas here. I'd made two: one with a risen yeast crust, one with a crisp flour-and-kefir crust, both with homemade marinara and rounds of fresh mozzarella. Pretty good, if I do say so myself! 

Wearing today: 



Full house + bathroom queues = quick low-quality selfie in upstairs hall mirror. 

*Wool& Brooklyn (small) in Pacific

*Secondhand Aran Crafts merino cardigan in charcoal gray

*Secondhand Allbirds merino-tencel-lyocell leggings in navy

*Secondhand Birkenstock Rosemeads

Wet-refreshed Day 3 hair with a tiny lick of gel, air-drying. 

This is my basic in-the-house outfit for the day. I'll probably put on boots to go out, though the high today is around 60F, so I don't need to bundle. For Mass this afternoon I will wear boots, though, and either a nicer cardigan or a blazer plus a scarf. 

I tend to want to save my Brooklyn dresses for special occasions, but honestly, they work beautifully as comfortable everyday dresses. 

From my Instagram Style Mood Board: this continues to be one of my favorite Brooklyn "moods." 

Signing off for now, because my mother is on her way over. 

BRIEF AFTERNOON UPDATE: 



Quick shot of my afternoon/Mass outfit, while everyone's out and nobody needs the downstairs bathroom with the mirror. 

It's warmed up a lot, so I changed from my Aran cardigan to this old thrifted cotton Eddie Bauer cardigan, and from Birks to Tari boots. Just add linen scarf, and there you are. 



Still Advent, but not for much longer!