WEDNESDAY, ORDINARY TIME 32/WOOLLY NATURAL 23 DAY 316


 More trees, from yesterday afternoon's walk. This is a quickie, because I've got to dry my hair, but things on the agenda: 

*podcast interview at 11:15

*class at 4

*another Sun essay betweentimes

*walk the dog

*my new dress is out for delivery! (but as of this writing, it's not here yet)

Wearing today: 



Here's the schlumping-around-the-house/cardigan-wearing version: Aegean Teal Maggie (small long, which today, following yesterday's medium-long Maggie, also feels like a perfect fit) with redyed Sapphire Snag tights, Tari boots, and thrifted alpaca cardigan. 

Upgrades to the same outfit, for Zoom purposes: 



First, change the cardigan for a blazer. I had been thinking that I would like this moss-green corduroy blazer (bought on ThredUp . . . three years ago? Four?) with this darkest teal dress. And I was right. It's funny --- I don't think I'd wear that green by itself. Yet I love it with many of the colors I do wear: teals, blues, and periwinkles. I might even layer it with my Pacific Brooklyn to see whether I like the crunch of the greens together. 

Anyway, wrinkled as this dress is, because I haven't worn her for the last month, I really love how the blazer dresses her up. 

And then . . . 



I could take it to the next level by layering on another blue: this redyed wool scarf in indigo. If it doesn't feel too hot in the house, I think this might be my Zoom outfit. I love the layers of blues with the contrast of the green blazer. 

I got this dress back in the late spring or early summer, and have been thinking all this time that she'd be so great with layers and boots. Nice to know I was right. 

END-OF-WORKDAY UPDATE: 

Wow, I'm tired. Had fun doing all the things, but this Zoom stuff wears on a body after a while. 

Here again is the work outfit, which I really loved all day: 



I thought I'd like it, but honestly, it felt great. I wound up wearing my scarf loose, like a stole, which kept the back of my neck warm in a chilly house --- temperatures seem to be dropping --- but wasn't too much stuff around my face. Blazer felt sharp and professional, and the proportion of the dress felt right for the blazer (not the case with Monday's Willow, though it looked fine on camera). Tights felt just right with the dress. Boots look kind of beat up, but I like them with this outfit anyway. If I wanted to look sleeker, I'd wear my graphite Birk Melrose boots, but I really enjoyed this vibe. 

Going on about it because I want to remember this combination. Also, as you can see, the morning wrinkles did dissipate. 

It is getting colder, so once I was finished with class, I changed into something more comfortable: 



By which I mean that I took off the blazer, put on my favorite warm, light pullover, and wrapped my scarf so my neck would stay warm when I took the dog out. Granted, it's really not that cold, but chilly enough that I was glad of the layers under my jacket. And I'm glad of them in the house. 

My husband has something on this evening, but plans to be home for a late dinner around 8. I have some little steaks to cook, so in a minute I'm going to get up and marinate them and choose some vegetables. I can throw the whole dinner together as he steps through the door, hopefully with some wine in hand, since I did tell him I was making steak. 

New dress still not here, but I tell you: I am enjoying my wardrobe this week. 

OK, well, hold the phone. My new dress is HERE. Today's post is officially a spam post of pictures of me (even more than usual), so if that's not what you're here for, back away now. 



Are you ready? 






Did someone say . . . beetroot? 

Why, yes. Yes, they did. I did. Right there on the order form. 



Except for the color, this is the exact same dress as this great favorite of mine. It's the same style I used to dismiss as really stupid, right here on this blog . . . until I got a sudden hankering to try it anyway and realized that not only was it not stupid, it was basically the dress of my dreams. 

I don't know, necessarily, that I always want to wear Beetroot Brooklyn with these tights --- I adore the color and feel fantastic in it, but it's going to take some experimenting to see what winter layers work with the color. Still, I think she'll be a festive holiday dress and get a lot of wear, even in the winter. 

Why did I buy a short-sleeved dress in the middle of November, with the whole winter ahead of me? Well . . . first of all, I had determined that I really wanted a) another Brooklyn and b) a dress in this color. I could really see a Brooklyn in this color as a great spring and summer dress, but I was also afraid that if I slept on it too long, they'd sell out just when I'd want one. 

And as I looked things over and thought about it, there was honestly nothing else I wanted this much. The thicker winter dresses are just too thick to be practical for me much of the year. I'll adore this dress next summer, but in the meantime, I can easily layer a short-sleeved dress all winter long. And while I still have my eye on a Fiona, the only other dress I currently own that I'd really want more of, I'd love to see them come out with some more colors. If they'd made a Beetroot Fiona, I would have snapped that up yesterday, but as it is . . . 

Here we are. I'll be wearing her tomorrow to teach, then out for pub night. And I will feel like va va va voom. 

PS: This Brooklyn is a small long, and she feels a bit smaller overall than my original Brooklyn, also a small long. I'd have to try them on one after the other to be sure --- this could just be feel, nothing objective. At any rate, I am glad I got the long, not the regular. And the bodice fits well, as my other small long does. Really, I think it does fit well overall --- just not as forgivingly as a swing dress does, but that's okay. My husband gives Beetroot Brooklyn his stamp of approval and looks forward to stepping out with her (and me in her) tomorrow night. So in talking about the size, I'm not complaining about a problem, just wondering if in fact this new batch of Brooklyns measures slightly differently from last year's batch. 

Anyway, the dress style I was sure I didn't like is back for another round. It's so nice to be wrong sometimes.