FRIDAY, ORDINARY TIME 22/WOOLLY NATURAL 23 DAY 249


 

Once you start making kefir, my goodness me, you have kefir. Your gut biome doesn't know what's hit it, but something has. 

Thunderstorms blew through last night, cooling things down some. Today the high is 87F, which is not really what you'd call cool, but it's better than 95. And for the next week, temperatures will be dropping, with highs in the low 80s and lows at night in the 50s, which at least begins to feel autumnal. 

Tonight I have choir practice, then tomorrow is the Eucharistic Congress. We're not going to go for the whole day, just choir rehearsal at 2:45, with the closing Mass at 4:15. I have my concert black outfit all put together --- I don't like it, but I have it. It's the black bamboo swing dress I bought last spring for choral purposes, worn as a tunic over a black Kosher Casuals knee-length pencil skirt. I don't love either piece, but they were cheap, and they're both natural fibers for the most part. The shape of the outfit is fine. It'll do. 

But golly, I hate wearing black. I'd never have made it as a nun --- for all kinds of reasons, but that's one of them. People say, "Millions of women in France and Italy can't be wrong," and maybe that's true, but if you happen not to be one of them, then I think you absolutely can go wrong with black. If, say, you're a total Anglo-Saxon/Celtic mongrel, then yes, you can certainly go wrong with black. Funny, I think, that nobody invokes Norwegian women as arbiters of style, when in fact they all seem to look great --- not wearing black, by and large. You'd think that nobody outside France and Italy ever looked good, when in fact, they do. 

Anyway, black is the choir uniform, so there it is. 

But that's tomorrow, whose cares will be sufficient unto themselves. Today I've got all the usual stuff on. I did some writing when I got up this morning, retooling fiction scenes that I can begin to see fitting together into a novel, so that felt good. The dog will need walking, and I don't have extreme heat as an excuse, so maybe we'll go farther today. If the husband goes to the gym, as I predict he will, I'll do some working out as well, here at home in the private quiet, after a recovery day yesterday. 

Then I have some research to do, and some experimenting with Zoom for the start of classes on Monday. I need to peck away at this Sonnez Les Matines essay a little, too. 

One way or another, the day will get itself spent. 

Wearing: 



Audrey, for a little something different. I don't like wearing black, but I'm okay with very dark charcoal gray. This is her first September outing, but I'm sure it won't be her last. Pairing her with my "jeans blue" Kosher Casuals crop top, plus my redyed blue linen big shirt, which I'll probably take off for a good portion of the day, but which will be good to shrug on for choir tonight. Giving the good old Birk Balis an outing today as well. 




My hair's a little wonky, having been slept on. I did a quick refresh with wet hands and gel, but it'll probably take me a while to figure out this shorter length. I'm not sure I love the way the layers are cut, but it is a lot less like a grown-out mullet than my previous haircut was --- and I was actually fine with that cut until it started really to grow out of its shape --- and should grow out reasonably nicely. I do like the shorter length, but I think I was expecting something a little blunter and more like a French bob than this feels like. This isn't really a complaint, just an adjustment between the mental picture I had been carrying and the reality of my hair, which just seems to do the same things no matter how it's cut. 

Anyway, just dumping that thought here and moving on. 



A happy Friday to all who celebrate --- and a happy Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin! Almost forgot --- but I'm glad I was already planning to wear blue.