THURSDAY, LENT 1/WOOLLY 23 DAY 61/VIRTUAL CAMBRIDGE-TO-WALSINGHAM WALKING PILGRIMAGE DAY 2



Imagine a fenland morning. Granted, this was September, so there were leaves on the trees, but if you wake up on a boat on a fen river (this is the Great Ouse, near a place called Over), it looks a lot like this. 

If you read with assiduity yesterday, you'll know that on the spur of the moment I decided to make a Lenten walking pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in Norfolk. All of this is basically imaginary, but once the imagination is fired, there you are. I decided to make Cambridge's Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and the English Martyrs my starting point, with the idea that I'd walk, over 30 days, a distance equivalent first to a walk from Cambridge to Ely, then from Ely to Walsingham. 

If I'd really been walking the towpath along the Cam yesterday, I'd have passed through the village of Milton, just outside Cambridge, and probably wound up in the middle of nowhere, about a mile beyond Milton. So I imagined that I had a support narrowboat following me --- trust me, you can walk about as fast as a narrowboat goes --- and that while I'm on this leg of the pilgrimage, I'm spending the night on the narrowboat. 

Which means that although it's the wrong time of year for the trees to be leaved out, still on waking I might see something like that photo above. I took that first thing in the morning on a boat, in which my husband and I and the three of our four children who had been born before or in 2002 were messing about, puttering from Ely to a place called Hemingford Grey, a few miles down the Ouse, and back up again to Ely. This remains the best family vacation we've ever taken (and too bad for the little arty daughter, who wasn't born until December 2003). The Viking Son remembers nothing of this magical boat trip, having been seven weeks old at the time. 

The Infant Viking, for your delectation: 



Our trip took us on a route that didn't tend toward Walsingham, I don't think, but if you want to know what that general part of England looks like: 



This will be near the end of my imaginary Cambridge-to-Ely walk. That's Ely Cathedral in the distance. This shot was taken on the Ouse, just upstream from where it and the Cam meet and diverge: 


This is sort of an islandy place, with a pub. I think it's called Duck, but I'm not sure anymore. This is looking down the Ouse, though this little stretch might be called something else (the Old Something River).  To the left, outside this shot, the Cam flows away on its own course. 

Again, you can see how flat the land is here. This was all truly fenland, mostly underwater, with hummocks and islands where people lived, until the 17th century, when Dutch drainage technology came in. You can still see 19th-century steam-powered pumping stations along the rivers. 



So, in imagination at least, this is where I'm walking for a while, four miles a day, with Dora. In reality I'm walking far less level ground, with some hills, which I guess makes it more penitential. 

Meanwhile, in reality, the day is not that unlike an English day in some essential respects: 




It's still early, so I'm hoping the rain will slacken off some, but this may prove to be a no-bad-weather-only-bad-clothes situation. Temps are still distinctly non-English for this time of year, however, which is a pleasant thing: 56F at 7:20 in the morning, with a projected high of 69F. It also looks as though there will be windows when the rain tapers off: from 10-12 this morning, again at intervals in the afternoon, and finally after 6 in the evening. While I can certainly walk in the pouring rain, and indeed in England I would hardly have gone anywhere if I hadn't walked in the pouring rain, it's always nice when I don't have to. 

Think I'll wash my hair first, since it's going to get wet anyway . . .

LATER BUT NOT THAT MUCH LATER: 




Dressed very basically for a wet-but-warm Lenten day. My Sierra swing dress in her first March outing + old 25-cent thrifted cotton Eddie Bauer cardigan + Xero Oswego shoes, bought on clearance at the end of 2021. 

I'm not a fan of sneakers on me --- finally just got rid of my last pair of Converse, as well as another pair of more athletic sneakers. I dislike the bulk, I dislike the shape, I dislike the sole, I dislike how they read "sporty," which is not me at all. BUT I love these Oswegos. They're small and slim and light, where sneakers tend to be chunky and bulky. They don't have big lace-up action down the top of the foot. They do have a wide toebox. And they came in this fun color. 

I figure that after some days of Birkenstocks, a day of minimalist barefoot-type shoes is a good thing. It's good for my feet to have to work to support themselves (so to speak), as long as I give them relief periodically. And shoes like this are so lightweight and nice to walk in. I love them as an option in my little array of options, and they certainly come in handy in Lent, when I want to wear something purple every day. 

AND these shoes don't mind getting wet. The rain has slackened off by now --- it's just after 9 a.m. --- so I will venture out fairly soon and try to get a solid 3 miles in this morning, as I did yesterday. 

With that, we're off . . . to some imaginary point four miles farther across our imaginary fen between imaginary Cambridge and imaginary Ely. Away we go! 

POST-MORNING-WALK: 

We went 3.4 miles this morning --- hooray! Yesterday's total was 4.32. Possibly today we can go as far as 5 miles before it's all over, which would be nice, just to get ahead a tiny bit, against days when we won't, for whatever reason, make our target distance. 

The approach to the greenway trailhead:










By the time we reached this starting point, we'd already walked .68 of a mile. 

There were places where it felt like a riverside walk. 




The weather overall could plausibly be East Anglia in August. At any rate, I was comfortable, neither too cold nor too warm. My shoes felt light and not unsupportive, the right thing for weather that was damp but not actively pouring with rain. 

And now I have work to do. 

AFTERNOON UPDATE: 

Have written a short essay on Wilfred Owen's "Futility," have knocked out a few bob-and-wheel stanzas, and am just back from our second walk leg of the day. This routine is working well: to take our big walk of ~3 miles in the morning, then two shorter walks in the afternoon and evening. As of this walk we've just returned from, we've gone 4.14 miles, in a total of an hour and a half. We'll still take our after-dark walk tonight, which won't put us up to 5 miles, but should at least give us a cumulative total of 4.5 miles. That would mean we were about halfway between Cambridge and Ely, still probably sleeping on the narrowboat tonight. 

Some scenes from the afternoon neighborhood where we walked: