SATURDAY, ORDINARY TIME 5/WOOLLY 23 DAY 42/NO-BUY FEBRUARY DAY 11


 Yesterday's dramatic sky. It was warm and springlike and wonderful. Today it's cloudy, with rain in the forecast --- although that was yesterday's prediction, too, and it didn't happen. Originally we were supposed to get some kind of wintry mix tonight, but looks as though it's not going to be quite as cold as originally forecast, and just wet. 

Our houseguests have been and gone, and it was lovely to have them, albeit briefly. 

We met up last night at a scholarship-weekend dinner at the Abbey, for which I tweaked my basic day outfit a little --- wisteria Willow is just as versatile as any other swing dress in her dress-up-ability. Here's the side-by-side: 



Night-out look on the left, basic day look with bare legs and sport sandals on the right. A longline cardigan is an amazingly transformative piece, and I love this linen-blend one, which was one of my flurry of Poshmark secondhand purchases in January. It's so lightweight and breathable that I can see getting lots of wear out of it even in the middle of the summer. Snag tights basically for leg coverage, because it is February, and Tari boots, since it wasn't that dressy an event. 

I did try my aqua alpaca cardigan first with my dress, tights, and boots: 



I loved the play of colors here, but the cardigan felt a little boxy for the night-out vibe I wanted. Saving this for an everyday look, however. 

Today: moving slowly because I slept really badly last night. I know WHY I slept badly: wine at dinner. Beer doesn't mess with my sleep (slept marvelously after two real beers on Thursday night), but wine is another story. Returning with relief to my dryer ways for the rest of the weekend. I feel perfectly celebratory on my All-Out Stout, thank you very much. 

BUT I'm going to try to make this a work day. I'd love to knock out my current poetry copy-editing project early and send it in; then I can return my attention to the novel MS I'm reading and editing for this MFA student. The dog-walk will probably be short, and possibly I'll take a nap, because I'm really tired. 

Meanwhile, the children in Stockholm have been texting me because one of them is sick. She had a cough-cold thing two weeks ago, and now it's back with a vengeance (her words exactly). So they're in Stockholm, and her brother has gotten her some lunch and taken her someplace warm to sit, and I hope they're going to make their way back to the hostel so that she can sleep. Not sure when their plane back to Rome is --- I assume tomorrow sometime. I'm feeling the misery in my own bones, poor child, but there's not a thing I can do from here except to say, "Get her back to bed asap." 

My face on no sleep and some worry: 




Going for maximum Saturday coziness today. It's still not that cold out, but it is so dreary, and I feel the need for total comfort dressing.
 


I'd hung my Willow dress up but got her out again, and put on Sierra over. The gray over the wisteria is a lovely combination, and these layers are easy, light, and warm. Although I'd relegated the old gray cotton leggings to the sleepwear category . . . well, what I wanted today was basically pajamas, so here they are. Oldish cotton socks from Target. Again, it's not all that cold, just dreary. And my Birk hiking boots for another break-in round when I walk the dog. 



Smiling a lot more than I feel like smiling today, but fake till you make it, as they say. 

LATER: Kids are apparently "chilling at a cheese festival." Sounds like they're maybe in where it's warm, which is to be hoped.