SATURDAY, ORDINARY TIME 27/NO-BUY 2022 DAY 280 (REALLY?)


 

Now I'm dying to do a whole hedge of these Jubilee blueberries along the garden fenceline, because look at the autumn foliage! A day in the ground, and they seem very happy. Can't wait to plant more in the spring. 

More October Saturday garden views: 



Marigolds exploding out of containers. Also, yes, as it happens, we do eat a lot of arugula salad . . . 



Went hiking at Mt. Jefferson in Ashe County today. Here are some highlights: 



Dora in the backyard, ready to rock and roll. 



Me, in my Sierra, my thrifted cashmere cardigan, my thrifted stripy bamboo leggings, and Birks --- I just changed into hiking boots when we got to the trailhead, and off we went. 




The leaves were lovely. 






As were the late wildflowers. 





And the view, once we got there. 



There was a high-school football game happening in West Jefferson --- as we came back down the trail, we could hear the announcer. Here's a small view of West Jefferson through the trees, about halfway up the mountain. 



Dora was a champ on the trail. 








The overlook where we ended up is accessible by road, and there were a lot of people, which kind of freaked her out. But she did well overall, and then was happy to crash in her crate in the back of the car while we walked around West Jefferson and had dinner at the New River brewpub: great food, mediocre beer. 

Now we're home, weary and sorefooted, but glad to have had such a beautiful day out. As always, a wool dress is a great choice for hiking --- warm when it was chilly, cool when I was ready to strip off my cardigan. I was glad I'd worn these leggings, too, which are soft and warm but breathable, good for temperature changes as I walk. When we came off the trail, I put on my Xero Tari boots, which were a great after-hike choice, nice and soft and light on my tired feet. Having been in the mountains, it's good to be home again, in time for a good night's sleep before Mass tomorrow. 

Also, it's hard to believe we're 280 days into this year. 2023 is looming ever nearer!